27 February, 2011

Why did the Gundark cross the road

Something I've wanted to implement more of in my sessions is comedy. Not just funny jokes, but situations where the players end up laughing hysterically due to something about the scene being so ridiculous.

Some of the more serious role players may not appreciate this but let me try justify why I think comedy is important. So often players are focused on building combat machines to somehow kill everything in the encounter as fast and efficiently as possible, and on the other end of the coin the GM is often trying to build awesome encounters that kill the aforementioned players as spectacularly as possible. Another trap I fall into is taking my story too seriously by attempting to put in as much drama and catastrophic plot twists in as possible. I think its time to start throwing all those preconceptions out the box and giving the players and GM a chance to just relax and laugh.

Watching season 2 of The Clone Wars animated series has given me a new outlook on how to put comedy into Star Wars. Season 2 did seem a lot darker then the first season. I think this was due to them trying to capture the feel of old westerns like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Good people did die in the series and the bad guys won a lot. However it's still a series aimed at children so they counterpointed some of these dark scenes with some comedy I felt was brilliant.

Some of the comic things I want to take from the season are:
  1. Droids with funny personality quirks. This is often seen in the battle droids which have A LOT of personality in the show. Its sort of become a running gag.
  2. Cantina fights. I find these funny because they are such a cliche in any game, however I think players would appreciate a good old bar fight which has plenty of space for comedy.
  3. Dying in funny ways. In the show they often have the battle droids dying in rather amusing ways that keep people laughing. Admittedly death and violence isn't something that's supposed to be funny so they do manage to keep death serious by killing off the good/organic guys in a that tugs at your heart. Basically heroic deaths are sad, bad guy cannon fodder deaths are hilarious.
  4. Running gags. The show has a few, Obi-Wan failing repeatedly to catch Grievous is just one including when he mocks Anakin for his failures then fails the same way later in the episode. The arguments between Ahsoka and Anakin are another example.
  5. Kit Fisto's awesome smile. Nothing seems to phase this guy through the show and we often see him flashing an extremely cheesy grin of big white teeth. It has me in stitches each time.
Can any of you think of some comical situations you ended up in your role playing history? Post it below.

3 comments:

  1. When we played the star wars rpg with Simon, Kyle and John. I can think of two examples here.

    1. Trying to take on Vader for kicks.

    2. I tamed a Sith hound. Well sort of :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Padraig, the Irish mage.

    I think I almost fell off my chair to hear him talk.

    Good job on that one BTW.

    In Exalted I also recall using my Monk/Greedy traits to try and convince Purple Coin's pirates that really we just wanted to give them Religious reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. @james, you also managed to successfully sell them religious books

    ReplyDelete